As the leading on-line scarf company in the UK, we often get asked how to care for more delicate items. So, last time, we gave you our top tips for washing silk scarves. This week, we’d love to share our insider tips on how to care for your cashmere pashmina.
So here it is! Our little guide on how to care for your cashmere pashmina. Please let me know if you find it useful.
- It goes without saying that the starting point is to always read the label and/or care instructions. If this says “Dry Clean Only“, then you will need to have your cashmere pashmina professionally cleaned.
- If it is possible to wash your cashmere, then wash it by hand only. However, if there are any stains on your cashmere, specialist cleaning is recommended.
- Use a delicate washing soap, preferably a specialist product. Remember to do a little spot test before you begin washing.
- Always wash your cashmere separately from other clothing, just in case colours run.
- Avoid wringing out your cashmere. Instead lie it out flat on a towel to dry. In this way, it will keep its shape.
- When wearing your cashmere, try to avoid spraying it with perfume or other harsh chemicals such as hairspray.
- All cashmere, whatever the quality, is prone to bobbling called pilling. You will need to use a specialised pilling comb to remove these bobbles.
- When you are storing your cashmere, fold it carefully and then place in a zip-lock bag. Moths love cashmere. However, they hate light. They also hate being disturbed! So, once a month, it’s a good idea to take out your clothes and give them a really good shake!
- Moths also love damp cashmere. So, an important part of how to care for your cashmere pashmina is to ensure that it is completely dry before you put it away.
- Finally, moths hate the smell of dry-cleaning products. So if you are planning on storing away your cashmere for a while, it’s a good idea to have it dry-cleaned beforehand. This will put them off!
Please do let me know if you have found this how-to guide useful or if you have any tips you would like to share.
And, of course, if you are thinking about buying cashmere, then please speak to our friendly, knowledgeable customer services on 01253 733870 who would be more than happy to help with your choice.
Have a great week. XXX